The PRA Pony Racing Academy Scheme is for children who do not have a pony and are unable to participate in pony racing due to financial or circumstantial reasons.
The PRA Pony Racing Academy courses are funded by The Racing Foundation and take place across the country. The course consists of 12 sessions that take place over a time range of 3 months to 12 months. The mounted and unmounted coaching sessions, pony hire and costs of the race day are fully funded. The rider provides their own riding safety equipment including a skull cap and body protector to current standards and riding boots with a smooth sole and small heel.
You need to:
- Be aged between 11 and 15 years old
- Not have a pony or access to a pony. To be accepted onto and remain on the course, riders cannot own, loan, part loan, lease, share, borrow or have access to a pony, including one belonging to a family member or friend, even if the pony is not suitable for pony racing
- Have a level of riding experience that ensures you are safe and confident to canter in a group in a riding arena and in open spaces
- Really want to have a go at pony racing
- Show 100% commitment to the course
The schemes are currently being run north to south around the country in Aberdeen, Fife, Scottish Borders, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Oxfordshire, London, Hampshire, Sussex and Cornwall. We also work closely with the National Horseracing College in Doncaster and the British Racing School in Newmarket. There is currently space on courses in London, Oxfordshire and Worcestershire due to start later this year.
Over 200 children have completed the scheme and each year we aim to enable more children to achieve their dream of riding in their first Pony Race. 3 of our Academy Graduates are riding as licensed jockeys ‘under rules’ in the UK.
“The race at Cheltenham was one of the best days ever. I have always wanted to be a jockey and it came true. I was so excited for the race and very grateful it happened. Not everyone gets that opportunity.”
“This will be a day I’ll never forget, if it wasn’t for this scheme I would never have got the opportunity. It’s something I will always be grateful for. The course has not only helped me but my family too as they have no clue when it comes to horses!”
One rider who started the scheme in 2014 took part in our Racecourse Series Final at Cheltenham in 2019. With grit and determination you can achieve your dreams!
Email the PRA for an application form: firstname.lastname@example.org